Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Macgyver Dog Saves the Day


Dog Named MacGyver Rescues Owner

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/14256921/detail.html

A man who was trapped under a heavy piece of equipment said MacGyver helped save his life. MacGyver just happens to be his dog, not the secret agent from the TV show.Last Friday, Bill Kiesbing said he was working on a tractor and front loader when he got stuck in a tight spot."I went to jack up the high loader to get the tractor under it, the hydraulic cylinder shifted on me and the jack fell and pinned me on the ground," Kiesbing told KMBC's Lara Moritz.

Kiesbing said MacGyver, his 6-year-old golden retriever, helped rescue him. MacGyver is a service dog for Kiesbing, who is paralyzed from the waist down."I couldn't get up. The tractor's running, so I hollered for Mac and sent him over to get the neighbor," Kiesbing said. "I told him, 'Go get Van. Go.""MacGyver comes to my door, and he usually comes inside to get something to eat, but that day he didn't want to come inside, so I went outside and heard my neighbor yelling at me," neighbor Van Read said.MacGyver led the neighbor over to Kiesbing."So I came down there and I saw him underneath that bucket -- that was a big problem," Read said.Read helped Kiesbing escape from under the equipment, but MacGyver is getting a lot of the credit."He does a lot of things -- he gets the mail for me, brings me the remote, he has brought me my telephone. He's always around when I need him," Kiesbing said. "Wherever I am, Mac is there. If I'm out here working on something, he's out here laying in the street."Kiesbing said Macgyver is so well trained that he will take an empty Pepsi can into the house and bring a full can back to him.

No comments: